23 January 2012

To a friend

No comments

A few months ago I began a playlist titled "The End."
I love music and have made playlists for every type of occasion.
Some of my playlist titles include "Weddings," "Rainy Days," and "Just for Fun."

I started making this particular playlist because for some reason I wanted to have a record of the type of music I'd prefer at my funeral. I don't want pianos, and hymns. I don't want a big service or soloists, or any of that other "traditional" stuff. I want my friends and family to be able to gather, remember the good and bad times, eat, laugh, cry, and have a beer or a glass of scotch. The End.

I have already had too many friends leave this earth before they should have. In some cases I saw it happen.

It's hard to take when you are 17.
You think you'd handle it better at 19, but you don't.
Watching it happen at 22 hurts even worse.

And today, at 28, I get the call again.

Mel was my sisters best friend. Being 2 years younger, I was known as Adrienne's little brother by most of her friends, but Mel was different. She never called me "Adrienne's brother." She rarely even called me by my name. I'd walk into a room she was in and I'd hear "BROTHER!" and there was Mel Mel, smiling and waving. If I needed to talk to someone, or get some advice, it was like having another big sister.

So Mel Mel,

This one is for you today. I'll be listening to this playlist all day long. Remembering. Mourning. You are  greatly missed!

Love,
Brother.

If you have spotify and want to listen: The End.

No comments :

Post a Comment